Winter is a hard time for people involved with movement, especially those of us who like props that easily break our lamps, ceiling fans, televisions…. The list goes on. When you’re short on square footage in your dwelling, having an indoor meetup or classes to attend regularly can be mind saving. Together with Tyler Spades (see his original article), Poppe have created a map of worldwide flow and spin jams. Please let us know if you have a regular meetup or group you would like us to add to the list. If you don’t have a group or meetup in your area, we have some tips for starting one.
In addition to group meetups, there are other activities you can do to maintain a sense of sanity:
- Condition! Do a circuit of 20 jumping jacks, 20 squats, 20 straight back folds, 10-20 pushups, 20 situps, and 5 minutes of stretching each day. This will help you prepare for daily/weekly spinning.
- Take flow arts classes if available, or cross train. Martial arts, kickboxing, dance classes, yoga, and swimming are all great activities to help you with your flow arts practice.
- Bundle up and practice outside. It might help, and you will feel accomplished.
- Find an event you want to go to, and start a countdown. We hear there are some pretty cool flow fests coming up.
- Lastly, as mentioned above find a group to spin with, or start a group.
Let us know how you beat the winter blues!