Greetings fine people of the flow arts!
We are back with another installment of the Flow Arts Institute’s tutorial series, Tutsday!
This week, we have Brett Helmkamp with a sweet Hat Trick with Poi. Brent toured with the Spark! Circus in 2012 and is currently performing with Pyroscope Entertainment. We caught up with Brent at Kinetic Fire 2015, where he broke down this cool trick.[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
You are going to need 2 Poi and 1 Hat with a brim.
Let’s get started.
– Hold the poi string between your index and middle finger with your handle on the palm side. This allows for use of the fingers in grabbing the hat.
– Turn your head as you swing your poi behind your head. On the downbeat, grab your hat and continue the motion into a vertical stall at your side.
– While looking in the same direction, place the hat back onto your head as you swing the poi in the reverse direction.
– Repeat the motion with the other hand, making sure to look in the direction of the hat.
Brent goes on to break down how he exits the trick.
– When holding the hat in your right hand, perform a stall chaser and put your left hand into the hat.
– When you make it to your opposite side, toss the right hand poi and then use your right hand to place the hat back onto your head.
– Obviously, this can be done on either side of your body, so make sure to practice both!
If you would like to see more of Brent’s awesome hat juggling tricks, check out this video!
Thanks for stopping by. I hope to see you next week!